[ Return ][ Other news articles ]
Submissions open for sewage plant upgrade
February 20th, 2015
The Tasman District Council has received applications for resource consent to upgrade the Motueka Wastewater Treatment Plant.
The proposed upgrade includes:
- partitioning of the existing oxidation pond to reduce short-circuiting thereby improving treatment;
- increasing aeration to enhance treatment capacity and ammonia removal;
- addition of floating wetland areas in the final pond to reduce suspended algal growth by blocking sunlight;
- installing membrane filtration to provide a final polishing and high quality disinfection of the wastewater prior to discharge;
- installing a pipeline to transfer treated wastewater directly from the membrane filtration plant through a diffuser for a controlled discharge in the south branch of the Motueka River mouth, close to the existing uncontrolled discharge location;
- removing the soakage beds and wetlands from the treatment train, and the uncontrolled wetland discharge will cease.
The proposed upgrade will exclude use of the existing soakage beds and wetland. It will improve the quality of the treated wastewater by reducing Biochemical Oxygen Demand, Total Suspended Solids, nitrogen and microbiological contaminant concentrations.
The applications and supporting information may be examined in the main office of the Council in Richmond, the Motueka Office, the Golden Bay Office and the Murchison Office during normal office hours.
A copy of the application documents can be downloaded through links on TDC's website or may be requested by contacting the Consents Administration Officer at the TDC offices (03 543 8400).
Submissions on the application for resource consent close on Friday 13 March 2015. Submissions can support the application, oppose the application, support parts of the application and oppose other parts, or conditionally support or oppose the application.
>> Email a comment on this article, to be added to the page. [If this link doesn't work, use this form instead]
[ Return ]
[ Other news articles ]
© Motueka Online. To reproduce all or large parts of this article, please ask the editor for permission, and attribute the story to Motueka Online.
We wish to thank these local community-minded businesses who generously sponsor our site. They recognise the value of supporting this community asset, and in return Motueka Online is pleased to use and recommend their services whenever appropriate.
Ray White Motueka, Nelson Building Society, House of Travel,
Patisserie Royale, Steph Wills Dental Surgery, Elevation Cafe, Restaurant & Bar