[ Return ]
Nelson/Tasman Council amalgamation process announced
September 23rd, 2010
[Tasman District Council press release]
The Local Government Commission has called for submissions on a proposal to merge Tasman District and Nelson City. The Commission says submissions may be made on any matter relevant to the proposal, including:
- Whether the proposal should proceed;
- Whether a minor variation to the union proposal should be adopted;
- The advantages and disadvantages of the proposal compared to the status quo; and
- If the proposal is implemented, details that could be included in a draft reorganisation scheme such as representation arrangements and community board structures and functions.
The closing date for submissions is Monday 8 November 2010.
The council has also published details on the process involved in decision making, including The Process After the Closing Date for Submissions, The Process if a Draft Reorganisation Proposal is Issued, What the Local Government Commission is Looking for in a Submission, and Where to Send Submissions. This information can be found on Council's website, here.
Anyone making a submission should clearly state whether they wish to meet with the Commission to speak about their submission (along with a daytime contact telephone number). If this information is not provided, the Commission may assume that the submitter does not wish to appear at a hearing.
- Please note that it has been the Commission’s practice to make submissions publicly available on its website www.lgc.govt.nz
- The Commission will maintain a website page dedicated to this proposal and will periodically update this. You can access this page by clicking on the ‘current proposals’ link.
- Please note submissions need to be made directly to the Commission.
[Editor's note: Motueka Online also has a discussion forum thread on the amalgamation issue, which you can read and contribute to here]
>> Email a comment on this article, to be added to the page. [If this link doesn't work, use this form instead]
[ Return ]