Nelson Asthma Society
Do you live in Nelson/Tasman and have a respiratory condition? We can help you with information and support. We assist people with asthma and related respiratory conditions through improved self management, education and support.
Sue Alsop, Manager
Nelson Asthma Society
9 Cambridge Street, Richmond
Phone: (03) 544 1562
Hours: Mon, Tues, Wed & Friday 8.45 to 2.30pm, closed Thursday. A telephone message service is available.
Nelson Bays Primary Health respiratory nurse educators are available on 0800 731 317.
Together we offer the following:
Our free service:
Education, information and support to individuals and their families
- Clinic or Home visits for 'one to one' education on asthma/COPD management
- Assessment of your condition and inhaler techniques
- Lung function testing (spirometry)
- Management of, and advice given, on self management - teaching you to keep control of your condition
- Pamphlets/booklets and fact sheets covering all aspects of respiratory related disease.
- Provision of spacers, peak flow meters and haleraid devices
- Advice given over telephone, answering your questions and resolving your fears
- Referral to other agencies, if required
Membership $15 per annum (financial year April to March).
- Receive regular newsletters offering local and national advice and information
- Discount on anti-allergen dust mite bedding covers
- Library books and DVDs available for loan
BBC (Better Breathers Club) exercise classes:
Difficulty breathing can reduce your quality of life. Regular exercise can improve this and is an essential component of dealing with your lung condition. Our BBC classes are designed especially to help you. Occasional speakers are invited after the exercise session and during the social time that follows. Classes cost $2 for members and $5 for everyone else. A physio takes the sessions.
Richmond - 1st Tuesday of the month, 11.00am - 12.00 noon
Nelson - 2nd and 4th Wednesday of the month, 1.00pm - 2.30pm
Stoke - 1st Wednesday of the month, 1.30pm - 2.30pm
Motueka - 2nd and 4th Monday of the month, 11.30am to 12.30pm @ Recreation Centre.
Other services delivered by Nelson Asthma Society
- Promoting respiratory disease management and increasing community awareness of support and education
for people with asthma and related conditions.
- Advocate on behalf of people with respiratory disease
- Speaker available for talks and presentations.
- Advisory role to NBPHO Board on service provision and intervention for clients.
Our Committee & Medical Advisers
Elected in May each year at the Annual General Meeting.